Sunday, February 14, 2010

Toddlers Paint Valentines

Photobucket

Happy Valentines Day!

I hope you all are enjoying this day as much as I am. Yesterday was a busy day at the OKCMOA. I started my morning with a great group of eager toddlers. We painted with "found objects."

When coming up with project ideas for my classes we are encouraged to focus on relating our project ideas to something from the permanent collection or our visiting exhibit. I have mentioned that Jason Peters is our awesome exhibit right now. I have had so much fun leading the kids through this and the parents love it too. It's fresh, exciting and I love to watch the faces of our visitors. They enter and mouths drop! Peters uses found objects for his sculptures. For this class we used found objects to paint with.

Sometimes we listen to music. I have a kid playlist that gets us moving, we start with The Imagination Movers, Paint the Day Away. I find all my music on iTunes. We also groove to The Laurie Berkner Band, The Wiggles, Raffi and more.

Photobucket

First my toddlers used a brayer to roll on pink paint. Most of the kids have never used a brayer. They loved to roll paint! We let this first step dry and visited the exhibit. When we returned to the classroom we used a heart sponge to stamp red hearts. (I cut heart shapes from kitchen sponges.) I have learned that sometimes it is easiest to give the kids one color at a time and with my small classes this works great.

Finally we used forks. I tell them this is to stamp, not to eat, and I go around to each child and dip the fork and show them we "stamp, stamp, stamp." They love repetition and making a word connection with motion. (like brush, brush, brush...dot, dot, dot, you get the idea) We used aqua paint for that and the fork creates neat little lines. We had so much fun!

You will need:
-drawing paper
-brayer
-3 paint colors
-sponge cut to shape
-fork

Here are some of our works!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

9 comments:

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

What a fun project, and cool soundtrack! My boys & I have painted with cars (roll their wheels in the paint) and other found objects. I definitely need to get out my brayers and let the boys try them!

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Thanks Heather! We like to use trucks and cars to paint too. I actually have a Museum class scheduled using this very idea...Go Van Gogh! I see you have a website, I am going there now! :)

Erin

Bran said...

these turned out so beautiful!

Unknown said...

The colors are amazing, I love the idea of using fork tines.

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Mom, you made it over! Yay! :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! I Love this! Your so amazing! xoxo

Aimee said...

This is so fantastic, I posted a link to it here: http://web.me.com/redshoearts/Redshoearts/Blog/Entries/2010/2/22_Five_Fun_Finds!.html
Thanks for the inspiration!

Erin Laughpaintcreate said...

Wow, thanks Aimee! I LOVE your site and your insight. Bravo on what you do!

rachelle | tinkerlab said...

Hi Erin! This is a great activity. I work in the museum education field, too, and often find that children are so inspired by seeing real, live art. My daughter and I love stamping, and haven't yet used forks -- love it and can't wait to try it!